- It is an honest question which is food for thought for all concerned as to its being germane. Will it not be reasonably surmised that there existed evil collaboration between hosts and guests socio-economically in the oil industry there? It is an ill wind that blows no one any good in the long run.
- American entrepreneurs should demonstrate unequivocal social responsibility to any community in which they do business. It is not supposed to be a type of doling crumbs to servants from the master’s table. Respect the local leaders without losing site of the need of the so called silent majority. This partnership should be unquestionable. This will help to prevent continual socio-economically motivated armed uprising from the people as seen in the South-south Niger delta area of the country. Social injustice is a curse that will always retard economic growth or relationship.
- The private sector that would be in the partnership should learn to give reasonable allowance concerning the non-economic but cultural norms of the host countries or communities without jeopardizing economic interest of both parties.
- American War of Independence brought losses to Britain and the US, but as of today the two countries remain inseparable in world affairs to their mutual benefits. This observation is however futuristic in United States socio-economic partnership with African countries. The time is now!
- I love America for its open door policy which has kept her alive and would continue to keep her buoyant. United Kingdom (Britain) and United States both put behind them the brutal experience they went through by the wars they fought. There is no person or nation that cannot rise from grass to grace in the context of a progressive mind set.
- Africa is of age to eat solid food without seeing her as an entity that needed be given more of baby milk. It is time for business with existing survival kits as reference point to guide in business ethics, rules and regulations that must be applied pragmatically.
Be your brother’s keeper to honor God
It is hoped that the partnership will be mutually beneficial more than the U.S. could ever imagine, for I know that huge success is awaiting the planned economic cooperation. Let us ponder on this question: Will the partnership be in “LCM” Least Common Factor” or in “HCF” Highest Common Factor? Will there be highest common concern for all or for partial or selfish interest? The mutual benefit must be exponential to make the relationship worth the while. Any endeavor that keeps to the truth in the words of God is bound to have good success. Love your neighbor as yourself. (This completes the series.)
Cooperation based on positive LOVE tends to be very beneficial
Business world in America will not forget the shrewd business mogul from Nigeria in person of Late M K O Abiola who fell prey to Khaki men in political gab fueled by ethnicity, religion as well as the oligarchic unwritten constitution of his country. His victory in the general election described as the freest ever in the country had immediate salutary effect on the economy before the result of the election was annulled. If he had not ventured into politics his business success would have possibly remained a model for Africa and the world to see. Asian Tigers would have remained in business as Asian industrial cats, if the US had not partnered with them. By the same token, look at how Vietnam bounced up industrially after the devastating effect of the Vietnam War of 1968.
In Africa, there is a preponderance of political ideology that promoted enlightened self interest rather than seeking the greatest good of the greatest number.
Objective Partnership: One needs to suggest some guiding principles, even though, before America speaks out through the mouth of the President the blue print must have been prepared and revised from time to time. Such would have ensured that America does not stand to lose in the partnership.
- There has to be objective partnership within a framework of balanced equation.
- The partnership must respect the sovereignty of the host country with a view to not causing political upheaval that can become counter productive to both parties.
- There should be rigorous straining the host country’s eligible entrepreneurs if the partnership is to worth the while.
- Business should be business. No ethnic bias or sympathy or religious bigotry can ever make any company run efficiently and effectively.
- The Chinese have been unsuspectingly penetrating African countries even to the level of rural areas in each country. China has a shorter socio-economic history with Africa than the United States. It is needed to be mutually satisfied concerning the bigger brother and the junior in the field of democratic governance. Why should the US allow others to out do her in spite of her open door policy? Let us get it straight that the young shall grow, come what may.
- Unscrupulous entrepreneurs must be exposed and possibly ostracized so as to guard against explosion of time bomb swept under the carpet when it ought to have been detonated before any damage could be done.
- It is no news that Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa with a population of 175,000,000 millions. It had long been estimated that for every five Africans, one would be a Nigerian. The country has become a new haven for Chinese businesses. Say what anyone will, coming up with strong economic ties with African countries will heal past wounds in African mind as it did in the erstwhile foes of America that are now enjoying best relationship with her. Oh! US wake up before it is too late.
- Let the print and electronic media start beaming positive pictures of situation of things in Africa to the unsuspecting news hungry Americans and not over playing the effect of wars and droughts. These tend to scare the citizenry and more so the potential investors from investing in Africa for mutual benefit.
Oil business in Nigeria has yielded unscrupulous multi-millionaires and billionaires. Most of this category of rich Nigerians can never have any business acumen to show for their wealth like DuPont in the paint industry or Ford in automobile industry. (This is a continuation to be concluded in next post)